Saturday, June 23, 2007

Daytrip to Odaiba

Jion-Empire flew in from Seoul to spend the week in Tokyo, and stayed with me all of last week. And as much as I love living alone, I enjoyed the company, and the reunion with yet another fellow Columbia J-school sufferer and survivor. Okia, J-E and I headed to Odaiba on Saturday, peeking into a few shops in the mall, and then making a beeline for the beach, where we spent the day chatting lazily, and enjoying the absence of the rain that was predicted. One thing that never ceases to amaze me about Tokyo is how pleasant and clean it is -- I keep expecting to suddenly stumble upon the filth that pervaded NYC, all hidden away to be revealed only after my initiation into this city -- and how breathtakingly stunning parts of it are . . . (while Odaiba is not exactly in the center of the city, it is not far from it by any means. . . and many of these photos were taken mere minutes from the city center).

View from the mono-rail to Odaiba

Reinbō Burijji (Rainbow Bridge) from the mono-rail

Okia and J-E on the beach

Okia and me in the artificial tunnel where the restaurant we had dinner was located


Sunset over Tokyo Bay


6 comments:

Craver Vii said...

The scenery is spectacular!

It bugs me to see someone toss their litter on the sidewalk or out their car window. I simply cannot understand why human beings act like pigs in shared spaces. Why do you think Japan (because I made the same observation in Osaka) is as clean as it is? Is it a general sense of pride? Do they just do a better job of cleaning up? What do you think it would take for a Chicago or New York to start moving to that level of cleanliness in public places?

Cyberoutlaw said...

And what's really amazing is that New York is much cleaner than it used to be.

Your pictures are very nice. It must be good to have friends close by in the new environment.

Martin Stickland said...

What a lovley day you must have had, and what nice friends too!

Anonymous said...

yo, yeah it feels awesome to be called an empire, but my Japanese teacher said she'd never heard of it T.T

thanks for having me again. I miss you guys and shinkoenji and the pancakes and "deguchiwa hidarigawa hidarigawadesu." puha.

I'm going to do my photos now. I'll let you know when I'm done.

Emilie Oyen said...

Hi---I came to you through your comment at my blog about coming to me through Happiness Project! (phew, long sentence.)

Am glad to connect with you, however different our lives!

And.. I went to Columbia writing school---so we have more in common than just being expats!

L.L. Barkat said...

I don't know... that looks suspiciously like the George Washington Bridge. Are you sure you're not making this stuff up, about living in Japan? :)