Thursday, November 10, 2005

Enter Reuters reporter Inihtar!

I tend to get quite obsessive at times. I pick something that I decide I want, and draw up strategies about how I can achieve the object of my obsession, and get very upset and tense when something seems to come in the way of achieving said obsession.

Well, my latest obsession is getting an internship - well, a job would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers - at the AP or Reuters. So yesterday, I went to a panel discussion about AIDS at the Reuters office here. I actually didn't even realise I'd signed up to go to it until I got the email letting me know that I was One of the Chosen Ones and was really not in the mood for it - but seeing as I was One of the Chosen Ones, I couldn't very well not go!

So, cribbing and complaining to myself, I went. The panel itself was interesting, and quite enlightening, but since the discussion had started late, and I had to get to class afterwards, I left as soon as the Q&A session started.

As I was walking towards the elevators, I noticed a guy standing a few feet outside the room, listening to what was happening. Somehow, in the middle of me hurrying to the elevators, and him straining to hear what was happening inside, we managed to strike up a conversation. He was a reporter at Reuters. As soon as he said that, I decided class or no class, I was talking to him. He looked at my name tag and asked me what I did at Columbia. I told him I was a journalism student.

"Really?" he said. "I've been wanting to do my master's degree at Columbia. Maybe I should come up there and sit in on a class."

"Yeah," I said. "You definitely should. It's great, and the professors are great, they're very experienced, and they have great reputations!"

We chatted for a bit, and exchanged cards. And then, out of the blue, he said, "You should do an internship at Reuters!"

"I KNOW!!" I said. (This guy can read minds!!)

"Well," he continued. "This is how you get into it. By making contacts with people like me."

"Ok," I said. "I'm keeping in touch with you for sure then!"

And I intend to! So much so that he's going to regret having told me to do so!

So, I've got a new best friend who's a business reporters at Reuters, who's going to get me an internship there!

PS: Is it me or are most of my blog entries somewhat anticlimactic?

3 comments:

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

That's not anti-climactic that's great!
Ps - do they need an HR bod? ;)
~FMP

Inihtar said...

What? You can't leave. You're a key talent resource!!:-P

Anonymous said...

Hey, hope it works out! Fingers and toesies crossed.
Caveboy.